Rogue Valley Adventist School is a Kindergarten through 12th grade Seventh-day Adventist school located in the beautiful Rogue River Valley with all the advantages of a country location and a grand view.
The school began as a little one-room school in 1908. It was attached to the back of the Medford church, which was located at 617 N. Riverside. Two rooms were built over the church as living quarters for the teachers. After a fire at the Riverside Street church, a new church was built on the corner of Edwards and Beatty Streets in Medford with a small building behind the church to house the school.
This church school became part of Rogue River Academy in 1926 when it was built at its present location on South Stage Road. Thirty acres of land for the building site was purchased from the Minear family at a cost of $30 per acre. The original academy plans were for a one-story, 10-grade school, but applications from 11th and 12th grade students resulted in the building of a two-story school with these two grades included. Construction began in the summer of 1926 and was completed in time for classes that fall. Included in the building were four classrooms, chapel seating 200, a library, and a combined music room/principal’s office. Seven pot-bellied stoves kept the school warm!
Six 12th graders were the first graduates of the academy in the spring of 1927, and the school continued as a 12-grade school until nearby Milo Academy opened in 1956. At that time Rogue River Academy became Rogue River Junior Academy with 10 grades.
In 1960 a new school plan was built and the original school building was demolished. Since then more classrooms and a gymnasium were added, resulting in the current school complex. The present plant consists of eight classrooms, a library, a cafeteria, a band/choir room, an art room, chemistry and physics lab, woodworking and or mechanics shop, a typing/computer room, a piano room, a chapel/assembly room, a Pathfinder room, a Student Association Center, a counseling office, an office complex, and a gymnasium capable of seating over 1,000. Kindergarten was added to the school program in 1986 and Pre-Kindergarten in 2007. In April of 1993 the school name was changed to Rogue Valley Adventist School.
The decision to once again expand the school to a senior academy resulted from concerns expressed, over a decade, by families that want their children to attend all four years of high school at a local Adventist school and they prefer to not have to send their children away to a boarding school. As a result, grades 11 and 12 were added in the 2004-2005 school year.
In the spring of 2009 the school achieved six year accreditation status from the Adventist Accrediting Association. Fall 2009 saw the school name changed to Rogue Valley Adventist Academy.